Balcony, create a little oasis just for you
How to decorate your balcony?
Blessed are the ones living in city apartment that have a balcony. As an urban outdoor space, balcony is the perfect solution to enjoy sun and the air, however small it is. You can always bring it to life and make it your private oasis in the middle of urban jungle.
Here are some tips how to decorate your little balcony:
- Start from the floor, use wood pallets or outdoor wooden floors to cover concrete and create warmer atmosphere. You can take plastic cloths, or apply water-based polyurethane to table cloth to make an outdoor rug. Grass imitation is a great floor decoration for balconies. It is really easy to apply, and since you won’t need but a few meters of artificial grass that won’t cost you much.
- Use old chests or boxes as a furniture. You can restore it and use it as storage, furniture and decor. Old chest or box can be used as a cabinet, table or to sit on. Freshen up the old furniture by giving it a new coat of exterior paint. You can also add cozy, easy to shift, soft seating. It will make your balcony a comfortable place to chill out. During the rain season, you can shift the seating so that it doesn’t get wet.
- Plants – you cannot overdo it, place plants everywhere around your balcony, they will contribute your outdoorsy and a bit magical atmosphere. On the edge, verticaly on the walls, on the floor. Pay attention to the plant pots also. Choose colours that will brighten the entire style. Best plants for balcony gardens are usually petunias, geranium, begonia, fuchsia etc. Herbs and spices also grow well and don’t need much space.
- Smart furniture – it should be small, easy to move, and foldable. Buy couple of folding chairs and hang them on a wall. They save space, and when you need them, you get an extra seat in a moment. Don’t overdo with chairs, two or threeonly, depending on a balcony size. Also, you can choose to furnish your small balcony’s interior with cushions. Choose bright coloures and cleverly mix them together to hit the wanted atmosphere.
- Lights – for romantic evening atmosphere use electric lamps, place them along the balcony fence, ceiling or floor. You can also use candles, maybe put them in jars for more rustic atmosphere, or lamps or lanterns.